5.12.11

December ...

homemade "advent wreath"


We have been so so busy (in a good way!) recently that I hardly get the time to blog. Yet I want to remember all we did so I am hoping to write a bit more again.
I just love Christmas time. Being from Germany I had to really get used to some aspects of a typical English Christmas. It´s all a bit too flashy and commercial to me. So this year we are making a concious effort to simplify our Christmas and as Jamie is old enough I have started all those German traditions that I miss so much.
Starting with an advent wreath on the 1st Sunday of Advent. Why can you not buy these over here?? Anyway, I came up with my own homemade version and am rather pleased with it. The decorations were bought in Hamburg.


eating Everyday paleo´s nutty cookies


 Each sunday another candle will be lit and in the afternoon we will eat homemade (paleo) christmas biscuits and listen to Christmas songs.





The next thing was the advent calendar. We usually have a calendar with little sacks with presents for each day (small presents!) but this year we only got a picture calendar each. Jamie gets very excited each morning to open his "lenda" and to see what picture is hidden benath the door. He doesn´t miss anything..






Then we decided to keep decorations simple this year and not to overcrows our house with decorations .. I also make a big effort to craft most of them myself with Jamie´s help. We also keep it to mostly wooden things too.

Window stars
I totally got addicted to making window stars! It is the most relaxing ever to do and they look just amazing !The windows are clean inside, they need a good scrub from the outside though!!LOL



Paper stars made by Jamie and me
Jamie is very excited as tonight St. Nicolaus will be visiting him. We will be polishing his shoes and then in the night it will be filled...!
Jamie has also told me that he wants to ride on Santas sleigh and give him a hug..
Talking of Jamie, my little boy will be 3 this Thursday!! Where did that year go?? He´s growing up a lot recently and is pretty hard work but adorable at the same time..


growing up..

Christmas will be amazing and wonderful this year, because we will keep it simple and magical.



3 comments:

  1. Hiya, I love the window stars, so simple but effective. My little boy will be 3 in Feb, so we are not far off from you guys, as you say, hard work but exciting.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, deutsche Weihnachten. Ich hab mal ein Weihnachten in Frankreich gefeiert. Ohweia, hab ich "mein" Weihnachten vermisst.
    Woher hast du denn die Anleitungen für die tollen Fenstersterne? Sie sehen so wunderbar aus, wie das Licht da durchscheint.
    Ich hoffe, ihr habt eure Zeit in Hamburg genossen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Valerie - our boys are very close in age then! Jamie seeems to be settling down now with his tantrums, just in the last week I have noticed a big difference :)

    Diana - Ich habe die Anleitungen aus dem Buch "The children´s year" , aber wenn du nach Waldorf Fenstersterne googlest solltest du eigentlich die Anleitung finden.. ansonsten kann ich dir die Seiten gerne abfotografieren.

    ReplyDelete